Friday, November 13, 2009

Death Penalty

I thought I knew exactly where I stood on the death penalty issue, but after reading Misty Day’s article, “Wrongfull Convictions...Death Penalty?,” I began to rethink my stance on the topic. Before reading this entry, I thought as Misty did, I had no problem with the death penalty. I strongly believed that if one person took the life from another than it is only fitting for the killer to be put to death. I never really thought about the fact that there is a huge possibility that there may have been false evidence presented, at some point, during the investigations, leading the suspect to wrongfully be convicted. As Misty did, I too, researched the case of Todd Willingham, who was executed in 2004 based off faulty evidence. I knew our government was corrupt, but I never knew that Governor Perry was corrupt enough to deliberately replace a chairman of the Texas Forensic Science Commission, because he was going to "expose" what really happened. This is completely wrong! So now we come back to the question of whether or not the death penalty in right? Truly, I am now more confused than when I began my research. All I know is that I want the true murders to be served the death penalty, but only if the convicted has been severed a completely fair trial and there is solid evidence of their wrong doings.

No comments:

Post a Comment